Could a Blood Test Soon Diagnose Breast Cancer?

 blood testA new blood test will soon be released that can detect if a woman has breast cancer. The test, which was created by Danish researchers, is still in its early stages, but seems to be very promising so far.

The researchers believe that the test is able to determine if women will get breast cancer in the next two to five years. This has a powerful advantage over mammography, which can only be used to detect cancer after it is already present. Rasmus Bro, who is a professor at the Department of Food Science at the University of Copenhagen, says the system is not perfect, but it does enable people to “predict breast cancer years into the future.”

The blood test has not yet been applied to large groups of women. Only small groups have used it, and this is the next step. Breast cancer is currently the most common form of cancer among women, says the World Health Organization (WHO).

The advantage of this new test is that it greatly reduces the cost of such a test. There really has not been this type of test available before, but it is believed that it will give women an accurate heads up on the disease. Women such as Angelina Jolie and Rita Wilson, who have both been in the news for their radical steps to remove the possibility of breast cancer, both declare that early detection is important.

In order to develop the test, the researchers identified many compounds that were known to be cancer-related. The samples were taken from about 400 patients who developed breast cancer, and then the patients were watched for more than 20 years by the Danish Cancer Society. The American Cancer Society predicts that 2015 will see more than 231,000 new breast cancer cases. They also say that more than 40,000 women will die from the disease.

Story Link 


Used under Creative Commons Licensing courtesy of Alisha Vargas

This article is made available for general, entertainment and educational purposes only. The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those of The Joint Corp (or its franchisees and affiliates). You should always seek the advice of a licensed healthcare professional.